Arsenal's Best Ever XI

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Goal Keeper

Arsenal has been blessed with great goal keepers like David Seaman, Jimmy Rimmer, John Lukic, Bob Wilson and Jens Lehmann. But I have gone for Pat Jennings. He was not only great with 1 handed saves he was pretty adept with making saves with his legs.

Right back

Lee Dixon deserves an honorary mention as does Viv Anderson. But I would opt for Pat Rice.

Left back

Ashley Cole and Nigel Winterburn would get into most people's teams. Sammy nelson was decent but my favourite is Kenny Sansom.

Centre Backs

Martin Keown, Sol Campbell, Steven Bould, Willie Young all served Arsenal with such grace and distinction. It was a huge dilemma to leave 1 player out of the 3 I felt were the best of the lot and unfortunately that player is Frank McLintock as I have gone for Tony Adams and David O'Leary.

Midfielders

I have gone for 3 in the midfield but I will start by heaping praise on the efforts of players like Robert Pires (who just narrowly missed out), Marc Overmars, Paul Merson, David Rocastle, Cesc Fabregas(on his way to being an all time great of he keeps his rate up), Paul Davis, Michael Thomas, Brian Talbot, Graham Rix and George Graham.

But I have gone for the trio of Patrick Vieira, Emmanuel Petit and Liam Brady. Vieira and Petit as a duo are probably the greatest pairing in premiership history as they supplemented each other extremely well. Whilst Brady, was just a genius with his left foot; and in my view, one of the best 5 players to have ever played for Arsenal.

Strikers

They have been a lot of fine strikers in Arsenal history like Tony Woodcock, Cliff Bastin, Ray Kennedy, Frank Stapleton, Alan Sunderland and Alan Smith.

But it will come as no surprise to Arsenal fans that I have selected Dennis Bergkamp(arsenal's best ever player in my opinion), Ian Wright and Thierry Henry (the most exciting player to have graced the premiership).

My favourite Arsenal team is difficult to say as all the ones that have won the Premiership with Wenger in charge have been brilliant to watch and it is difficult to separate them.

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Blog Archive